Transportation Digital Solutions
In this role, you will help create useful and desirable software product and service experiences for the industrial internet of things. As a Staff Interaction Designer you may lead or be an individual to contributor to multiple user experience engagements as well as work on highly complex projects that require in-depth knowledge across multiple specialized business domains.
· Work with interaction designers and user interface developers to design the visual aspects of product user interfaces
· Contribute to a visual and interaction design system used across GE software products
· Communicate designs via wireframes, prototypes, guidelines, specifications, presentations and discussions
· Participate in discussions relative to the future direction of design and user experience for the industrial internet of things
· Participate in team discussions about current user experience design projects
· Research and evaluate emerging design, technology, industry, and market trends
· Ability to multitask across multiple small to medium projects multiple projects in a crossfunctional environment.
· Guides effective documentation and communication of design - via wireframes, mockups, and requirements engineering
· Demonstrates a strong understanding of Agile / Lean UX methodologies
· Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic/Visual Design, Fine Arts, Library and Information Science, Human Computer Interaction, Marketing, Industrial Design, or “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math)
· A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in product or interaction design
· Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job
· Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen
· Must be willing to travel 15%
· Must be willing to work out of an office located in Chicago, IL, Atlanta, GA
· Strong working knowledge of principles of Web and application design (HTML, CSS, JS)
· Understands value and activities associated with getting feedback for design ideas from users and stakeholders.
· Leverages typography, color, layout, composition and materiality to create visual interface designs that clearly and effectively express product capabilities and behaviors, as well as business and product brand values.
· Creates visual design specifications and documentation that provide detailed instructions for developers regarding typography, spacing, color and other aspects of a product’s user interface.
· Creates multiple variations to a single design component to explore how different treatments meet design requirements and brand/experience goals.
· Constructively participates in critiques of own design ideas and those of others.
· Designs new components to contribute to design systems, documents intended usage.
· Creates annotated prototypes or wireframes of user interface designs that visually and textually communicate the behavior of a software application.
· Skilled in standard design & wireframing tools (Adobe CC, OmniGraffle, Sketch), hand drawing and visual communication, time-based and interactive prototyping tools (Hype, Adobe Edge, Keynote).
· Understands key cross-functional concepts that impact the organization.
· Understands industry knowledge at a high level.
· Understands key principles of design thinking, what it is and why it is important. Explores all ideas, regardless of their source.
· Understands that designing, developing and deploying products and services for infrastructurelevel domains requires attention to the complex behavior and relationship within and between systems.
· Uses generative techniques (sketching, brainstorming, etc.) to establish a variety of possible design decisions and decision scenarios.
· Communicates clearly the purpose and desired outcomes of meetings.
· Understands the purpose and role of UX and interaction design within a larger collaborative work ecosystem and actively considers the needs and constraints of other parties when making design decisions.
· Listens attentively, uses body language to signal undivided attention in research and collaboration settings.
· Engages with design and project-related problems and questions in a disciplined, rigorous manner. Defines objectives, problems and questions and gathers appropriate inputs before generating and evaluating solutions and answers.
· Identifies when additional information is needed from customer/manager and asks cogent and relevant questions to obtain it.
· Demonstrates a deep passion for learning and courage to push the boundaries of one’s own thinking.
· Recognizes how this approach can identify unforeseen opportunities that add value for both our customers and the bottom-line.
GE is the world's digital industrial company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. With people, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE Digital is the leading software company for the Industrial Internet. The company develops software to design, build, operate and manage the entire asset lifecycle – enabling businesses across the energy, aviation, healthcare and manufacturing sectors to operate faster, smarter and more efficiently. All of industry will have to master digital to compete in the future by moving beyond automation to autonomous systems. GE Digital is a critical part of GE’s present and future by helping industrials unlock machine data to turn valuable insights into powerful business outcomes.
Headquartered in San Ramon, California, GE Digital is a global team of more than 26,000 with offices in Paris, Shanghai, Bangalore, New Orleans, Budapest and Detroit. We are defining what digital means in an industrial world. Together, we work to build the future.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is anEqual Opportunity Employer . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen.