Amadeus is shaping the future of travel, and we want you to help.
As a technology leader we are always innovating to solve some of the challenges facing the travel industry. We let you take the lead when it comes to your progression, with a wide range of new and exciting projects you can be a part of.
We are highly committed to promote a corporate culture that values differences and welcomes people from any background. We reject categorically and wholeheartedly any discrimination on the grounds of gender, race, ethnic group, sexual orientation, age, disability or belief. Equality, diversity and environmental sustainability are key to our culture.
The travel and technology industries are evolving by the minute and the future is more exciting than ever. Join us, and be a part of it.
Summary Overview of Responsibilities:
Database Administration for multiple engines over multiple platforms
'A database administrator (DBA) is responsible for the performance, integrity
and security of a database. Additional role requirements include planning,
system development and troubleshooting.' In order to provide some information surrounding the context database 'Administration', you will find hereafter an example of some typical responsibilities associated to such duty.
· Establishing the needs of users and facilitate monitoring user access and
· Monitoring performance and managing parameters to provide fast database services
· Considering both 'back end' organization of data and 'front end' accessibility for end users
· Supporting the ‘logical design’ so that it can be translated into a specific
· Refining the ‘physical design’ to meet system storage requirements
· Installing and testing new versions of the database management system (RDBMS)
· Writing database documentation, including data standards, procedures and
definitions for the data dictionary (‘metadata’)
· Maintaining data standards, including adherence to the Data Protection Act
· Provide means supporting the control of access permissions and privileges
· Developing, managing and testing backup and recovery plans
· Ensuring that storage, archiving, backup and recovery procedures are operating correctly
· Support capacity planning objectives
· Working closely with IT project managers, Development and Operational support teams
· Communicating regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to
ensure database integrity and security
· Commissioning and installing new DB solutions
· Because of the increasing levels of hacking and the sensitive nature of data
stored, security and recoverability or 'disaster recovery' have become
increasingly important aspects of the work.
· Overall database technical responsibilities, also encompassing the integration
of add-on commercial database products suites
· Customization, maintenance and support under 24x7 rigorous operational
· Close integration work with various development teams for supporting and
promoting products, features, and releases
· Problem determination & debugging
· Diagnostic and tuning strategy for demanding OLTP applications, including SQL
· Planning, scheduling and securing database backups
· Evaluation of new products and technologies
· Project management and/or team core-member representation
· On-call support
· Mentorship and tutoring for newcomers and/or junior team members
Relevant Job Experience:
1. Qualification (School, university, equivalent, etc.)
· University degree in Computer Science or equivalent and relevant operational experience with at least two commercial DBMS (one at least being considered strategic by Amadeus, i.e. Oracle, MySQL) and with strong administration
· RDBMS Certification a plus
· Data modelling and database designing hands-on
2. Know How / Skills
· Strong core technology skills with hands-on exposure on latest or mainstream
engine versions and features (2 RDBMS at least)
· Field experience in supporting critical production HA workloads
· Advanced HW, OS, and SAN infrastructure knowledge
· Good scripting knowledge (i.e. shell, perl, python)
· Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
· Strong personality with good communication and consulting skills and experience
in multinational environment
· Strong skills in technical project work and project management
· Ability to work independently
· Proactive minded in mitigating/avoiding foreseeable issues
· Ability to develop, initiate and execute training
· Perfect English verbal and written communication
· Acceptance to enroll into on-call as well as supporting out of business hours activities when necessary
· Optional requirement: Good knowledge in Progress OpenEdge DB administration
3. Relevant Job Experience
· Effective experience as Operational DBA under acute 24x7 operational conditions
Amadeus does not accept agency resumes. Amadeus is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Amadeus, we welcome a diverse and inclusive environment based on equality of opportunity, fairness, respect, and dignity for all our employees. We firmly believe that differences based on gender, race, culture, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and disabilities are strong assets in today’s complex, global, and interconnected world.